Wednesday, May 12, 2010

NHS Archiving Blurbs

Here are two bits I've written about my work at NHS for the CEL.

Project (150 words):
I am the archivist at the Northfield Historical Society, which involves: accessioning, processing, conservation and reference. I also recruit, interview and supervise the interns working in the archives and collections. When research requests come in, usually by phone or email, I find the information they are looking for, and I also assist researchers who come in to use the reference room. This semester, I have written procedure manuals covering all regular archival procedures as well as introductory materials for new volunteers and interns.

Impact on NHS (150 words):
In my two years working for NHS, I have made a substantial impact on their archives. I came in just as their previous archives volunteer had to leave suddenly for health reasons. Over the time I have worked there, I have taken on more projects and responsibilities, going beyond the day-to-day managing of the archives, to working both backward and forward: eliminating the backlog of work, as well as creating a systematic means of continuing to manage the archive after I leave. I have made efforts in recruiting more interns at St. Olaf in hopes that they will help to continue the smooth management of the archives.

Impact on self (150 words):
My work at NHS has had a tremendous effect on my professional development. I came into NHS two years ago, knowing I wanted to be an archivist, but not knowing exactly what the job of an archivist consisted of. I since have taken over the full management of an entire archive. I mostly paved my own way, slowly learning how to answer my own questions and work more and more independently. Since I started at NHS, I have volunteered in other archives around the country, but none of these experiences has been any more fun, rewarding, or meaningful than my internship at NHS.





My name is Alicia Reuter, and I am a senior German major with concentrations in linguistics and management studies, but I am an archivist. I have always loved museums, but after my sophomore year, I realized archiving was where my passion truly lies.

I began working at the Northfield Historical Society at the beginning of my Junior year, and absolutely loved it! At Olaf, many of us get trapped in the little bubble on the top of the hill, and during my first two years, I felt kind of suffocated. But then I discovered life off-campus, at NHS. I started with working on a scanning project 4-6 hours a week. It was refreshing to get off-campus a few hours every week. After I finished that project, I gradually started working more, doing anything and everything in the archive. NHS began to feel even more like home than Olaf! The people there are nice, and it is a fun and academic environment. The experiences I have gained and the skills I have acquired at NHS have prepared me very well for my future career as an archivist. This semester, I arranged my schedule so that I can spend all my time during the day working there, through internships and independent studies. The experiences I've had at NHS are unforgettable, and will be a springboard for the rest of my life.

Feel free to contact me (reutera@stolaf.edu) to find out more about how you too can get involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment